Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Commission: Bear, the yellow lab (2010), 16 x 20"

Yesterday I finished work on a commission--a portrait of a yellow Labrador. This painting was fun to work on since I don't frequently paint animals. I tackled this subject a little differently than I do my landscapes. I spent a large amount of time graphing and sketching this painting. Since this is a portrait and not just a painting of a random dog, it was important to get the proportions as close to the original photo as possible. I was especially careful to match the colors of the fur. The most tedious part of this painting turned out to be the bed of impatients behind the dog. It took a long time to place all the little flowers and leaves (and mix like ten different shades of green paint) in a way that looks natural.

Interested in commissioning a pet portrait of your own? Contact me with any ideas at audraziegel@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. The dog is very sweet and precious. Beautiful and lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts